USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
Regulations for Public Use of School Facilities, Fee Schedule, Application
1.By order of the Fire Marshal, a school administrator, the Athletic Coordinator or a custodian must be present at all times when a school facility is in use. All posted occupancy limits must be observed; and in the event that a fire alarm is triggered for any reason, the building must be cleared immediately. The building will then be under control of the fire official in charge and may not be re-entered until said official gives authorization.
2. Organizations using the school facilities will be responsible for any damage to school property during its use. A certificate of insurance naming the Town of Litchfield, Board of Education, as additional insured must be submitted one week prior to the scheduled event in the amount of $1,000,000 for property damage/bodily injury.
3. Organizations may be required to obtain the services of police officers or firemen if such is considered necessary for the protection of school property and/or traffic safety. It will be the responsibility of the organization to make arrangements directly with the applicable town agency if their presence is deemed necessary by the Superintendent's or designee's Office.
4. Alcohol and/or illegal drugs are not permitted at functions held on school property.
5. Smoking is NOT PERMITTED in school buildings or on school grounds.
6. Use of the building by the requesting organization will be confined only to those areas specifically requested and approved by the Superintendent of Schools or designee.
7. At the beginning of any public gathering at which 25 or more persons will be present for the entire time, an announcement shall be read regarding emergency exits, clear aisles and smoking regulations.
8. Each applicant organization is responsible for the conduct and supervision of all participants and/or guests. Representatives from the applicant organization must remain on the premises throughout the function and must maintain control at all times. Names and addresses of all designated persons in charge must be submitted with the application, and they will be held responsible for the supervision of the participants and any property damage. The school custodian is not a supervisor of children or adults.
9. All fees, with the exception of fire, police, custodial and kitchen personnel, will be billed by the Business Office. Fees will be charged as listed on the attached Schedule of Fees, and financial obligations are to be are to be met within two weeks following receipt of the bill. All rental fees must be paid two weeks in ADVANCE of the scheduled event.
10. The use of kitchens will be permitted after a review of the application by the Food Services Management Company (FSMC). Notice of approval will be forwarded to the applicant with the standard approval form. If staffing of the kitchen is required, financial arrangements will be handled directly with the Food Services Management Company.
11. The use of a school facility does not include school equipment, except that which is already a part of the facility. Permission may be granted to use equipment, i.e., projectors, microphones, etc., if specifically requested on the Use of Facility form. If an administrator determines that an operator is required, the requesting organization will be billed.
12. Those areas used for approved activities in the evening or on weekends will have the temperature maintained at night cycle settings.
14. Only UL approved, grounded, heavy duty extension cords may be used. No nails or screws may be driven into any part of the facility without approval.
15. Nothing shall be displayed or exhibited by any group without prior permission from the building Principal.
16. No scenery, ramps, extensions or the like will be constructed in such a manner as to hinder emergency exits.
17. No pet shows, donkey ball games or other activities involving animals will be permitted within school buildings.
18. If schools are closed due to inclement weather, the facility use is automatically canceled. All prepaid fees will be returned in that case.
19. It is expected that the facility used will be completely cleared within 24 hours.
20. The use of a school facility will be evaluated at the conclusion of the event. Any disregard of the regulations may result in the refusal of any future use by the sponsoring organization.
21. Any exception to the above regulations must be granted by the Board of Education prior to the use of the facility.
Legal Reference: Conn. Gen. Stat. § 10-239 Use of School Facilities for Other Purposes
Litchfield Board of Education
Regulation Written: 4/12/1983
Regulation Revised: 9/14/1993, 9/9/2013, 4/1/2015, 12/6/2017
Regulation Reviewed: 10/1/1998, 11/5/2008