BUSINESS AND NON-INSTRUCTIONAL OPERATIONS
SCHOOL APPROVED TRIPS
1. Only transportation vehicles which conform to the regulations of the Commissioner of Education and other legal requirements will be used for transporting children to and from school and school approved trips.
Vehicles approved for school trips are:
a. School buses, school vehicles (vans, station wagons)
b. Common carriers, regularly scheduled or chartered
c. Taxis and limousine service approved by the building principal
2. Students involved in the Co-op Program with Wamogo will not be allowed to drive while commuting between schools or be a passenger in a non-school vehicle.
3. No student will be allowed to drive to any school-sponsored or otherwise school-approved trip when transportation is provided by the district without prior approval from the building principal and a signed permission slip from a parent or legal guardian.
4. When transportation is provided, students may leave the group of a school sponsored activity with a parent or legal guardian and the knowledge and approval of the person in charge. A student may leave the group with others only by prior arrangement, which includes the approval of the administrator and a signed permission slip from his/her parent or legal guardian.
5. Any school approved trip shall be supervised by a teacher or other appointed staff member, in accordance with the Litchfield Public Schools Operations Procedures for Student Activities. Students and chaperones must travel together at all times.
6. All proposals for overnight and out-of-state trips, including the mode of travel, require approval in advance by the Board of Education
Legal Reference: Conn. Gen. Stat. §14-262 Width and length of vehicles. Exceptions. Permits.
Conn. Gen. Stat. §14-273 Operations of public service motor vehicles.
Conn. Gen. Stat. §14-274 Hours of operation of public service and commercial motor vehicles.
Conn. Gen. Stat. §14-275-281a Equipment and color of school buses et al.
Litchfield Board of Education
Policy Adopted: June 21, 1983
Policy Amended: August 23, 1994
Policy Amended: September 9, 2009
Policy Reviewed: May 15, 2013