The School Nurse shall:
- Be responsible for the health and emergency medical needs of all district students during regular school hours.
- Be responsible for executing State laws related to physical examinations and immunization.
- Be available, when time permits and as requested, as a resource person to teachers who are teaching health units.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding the records, disclosures and health of students, except where specifically authorized by statute to make disclosures.
- Perform vision screening of all students K-6 and 9; hearing screening of all students K-6 and 8; scoliosis screening of all students' grades 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10; communicable diseases examination as often as necessary.
- Confirm physical assessments Pre-K, K, 6 and 10, and prior to enrollment in district schools; maintain health records for students PreK-12.
- Dispense medications in accordance with guidelines indicated by Connecticut State statutes.
- Administer first aid; report potential environmental health hazards; distribute health materials to students and faculty; conduct in-service meetings to inform qualified personnel, coaches, licensed athletic trainers and paraprofessionals of first aid procedures, blood borne pathogens, both EpiPen and Glucagon administration and medication protocols as needed.
- Report to Department of Public Health annually regarding incidence of asthma diagnosis at the time of enrollment, in grades 6 and 10.
Students: in regard to personal health, family and safety problems.
Staff: in regard to student health, safety problems, and health instruction.
Parents: in regard to their child's health, family and safety problems.
Evaluates results of vision and hearing tests and problems, retesting if necessary.
Evaluates school accidents, notifying parents and suggesting types of follow up.
Assists the Planning and Placement Team (PPT) and 504 Team in identifying and developing interventions for students who need a modified schedule or curriculum.
Serves as an advisor to the Superintendent and the Board of Education on all health-related issues.
Legal Reference: Conn. Gen. Stat. § 10-206 Health assessments.
Litchfield Board of Education
Policy Adopted: September 27, 1983
Policy Reviewed: October 1, 1998
Policy Revised: December 14, 2011