COMMITTEES AND ADVISORY COMMITTEES
As deemed necessary, the Board of Education may establish standing committees from among its membership to make recommendations for Board action. The following rules will govern the appointment and function of such committees which shall:
- 1.be established through action of the Board of Education;
- 2.have their members appointed by the Board Chairperson;
- 3.be informed in writing at the time of committee formation of committee purpose, functions, and duties;
- 4.make recommendations for Board action, but it may not act for the Board except in those instances where authority to act has been specifically delegated to the committee by the Board;
- 5.be dissolved at the end of the Board's year or at any time by a vote of the Board.
- 6.appoint an alternate, for that meeting only, from Board of Education members in attendance if the regular committee members in attendance do not constitute a quorum.
The Board Chairperson and the Superintendent of Schools shall be ex-officio members of all standing committees.
Ad Hoc Committees
Ad hoc committees may be created for special assignments. The same rules shall apply to special committees as apply to standing committees, except that they shall be dissolved immediately upon completion of an assignment. The Board Chairperson and the Superintendent of Schools shall be ex-officio members of all ad hoc committees.
Duties of the committee shall be outlined at the time of appointment, and the committee shall be considered dissolved when its final report has been made to the Board of Education.
Committees as Public Entities
All Board of Education committee meetings are public meetings unless the committee is composed entirely of non-Board members and the Board successfully has petitioned the Freedom of Information Commission prior to the committee formation for such committee to be exempt from this requirement.
All committees of the Board of Education shall follow the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act as required by statute.
Legal Reference: Conn. Gen. Stat. § 1-200 through 1-241 Freedom of Information Act.
Litchfield Board of Education
Bylaw Adopted: 12/6/1983
Bylaw Reviewed: 4/27/1999, 2/3/2016
Bylaw Revised: 9/15/2010