Litchfield Board of Education plans another Community Conversation
According to the records of the Litchfield Historical Society, Center School was built in 1925 on the site of the former Berkshire Hawkhurst Hotel. Originally the school housed grades 1-12 and was built and replaced the overcrowded school at the top of East Street. The building was designed by architects Sunderland and Watson of Danbury and was constructed by the A. Wales Lines Company. Center School became the primary school for Litchfield when the remaining one-room schools, scattered throughout town, were phased out. Five classrooms were added in 1950 and additional renovations were made in 1987-1988.
Center School's mission is to foster a partnership between our school and community as we work and grow together with the belief that all students can learn in a safe and positive environment. We commit to supporting each other as we meet challenges with enthusiasm, openness, and a willingness to solve problems. We aim to build an atmosphere of cooperation, reflection, and thoughtful decision-making as we take ownership of ourselves, our learning, and the ways we treat each other.
At Center School, this means:
- Coming to school every day, ready to take on healthy challenges,
- Pushing ourselves to think harder and stronger,
- Taking care of each other.